You know summer has officially arrived in New Haven when the International Festival of Arts & Ideas launches. The traditional, 15-day celebration of the performing arts takes over theaters and open spaces in New Haven, Connecticut beginning this Saturday, June 14. In its 19th year, festival is expected to exceed 140,000 attendees and bring more than $35 million to the New Haven area. Wow.
So, what can we expect to see at this year’s International Festival of Arts & Ideas? Let’s see…
- Traces combines traditional, high-flying acrobatic forms with movement from the streets, such as break-dancing, skateboarding and basketball.
- Family fare, including FREE events on the Family Stage every weekday afternoon; ticketed events for Youth age 3-17; premium events for families of 4 with a family membership.
- Free headline concerts films and more great free events on the NewHavem Green.
- Walking tours of historic New Haven.
- Classes and workshops, all free, no reservations required!
- Lectures and discussions on everything from great authors to science, cooking, business and architecture–to name just a few topics.
And so much more.
The International Festival of Arts & Ideas offers a huge variety of individual events, something for everyone — and 80 percent of them are free! This is a yearly opportunity for New Haven to attract a diverse audience, bring attention to the New Haven community and enhance economic development. Last year, the festival drove $34 million in economic opportunities, and the its events have a lasting impact throughout the year involving educational programs like the Festival Fellowship Program for under-served youths and the Visionary Leadership Award held in autumn of each year.
Every month is a great month to be in New Haven, but June might just be leader of the pack.